Dena won the marathon last year and we asked her for her top tips for newbies to the event – and to tell us what she likes the most about 1Above T42.
What do you think of T42?
It’s a great course. The views are beautiful. The track is just technical and hilly enough to keep things interesting without slowing you down too much. If you love downhill running like I do, this is the race for you!
Total Sport always puts on a great event. It was well organised and there was a really good atmosphere.
Having the bikers out there is fun too – they don’t get in the way but they’re good for some banter.
The runners’ field was reasonably small which I liked. It makes for a friendly event and you don’t need to worry about getting stuck in traffic.
You have any tips for this year’s marathon participants?
- Come prepared for any weather. It can be cold on the start line and hot later on.
- Good trail shoes are a must if there’s been any rain – the clay can get slippery.
- There are a few stream crossings so wear socks and shoes that drain well and won’t give you blisters.
- Save some energy in your legs for the hill at the end! It isn’t steep but can be hard work after pounding down all those hills.
- Don’t forget to look up, there are some stunning views of the mountains.
- If you’re struggling just think about the cold beer and delicious burgers waiting at the finish line!
1Above T42 is an epic event tagged as “one of New Zealand’s must-do Kiwi experiences”. The award-winning event takes you into the crisp alpine air and pristine environs of the Tongariro National Park – and onto the event’s namesake trail, the iconic “42 Traverse”. Learn more or enter the 1Above T42 Central Plateau event at t42.co.nz.